Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hanging Rock


July heat brings memories of the beach at Halesite/Huntington Harbor.



 A vivid memory is the rock commemorating the spot where Revolutionary War spy Nathan Hale was captured and hung in 1776. This is the reason the place was named Halesite.

There were bronze plaques on all sides.


It's one of many monuments to rebel Hale whose last words are reported to be, "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country." (Rather than: "Woooo. I have to be the most inept spy ever, having been captured the minute I landed on the beach."



The monuments were supposed to be inspiration to children but I recall the whole idea as darn scary. When you are five and told that somebody was hung right here on this spot 175 years ago it might as well have been last month.

I was always on the lookout for British hot to hang somebody else and bury them in the sand.


This rock may have been moved to the town of Huntington. Here's a recent picture, but I think there is still some kind of monument at the beach scaring small children today.

No comments:

Post a Comment